2006-03-19

The Whitehorse Hickey Hider, otherwise known as a bit of a screw-up

Most of the time, the digital camera 'round these parts is used to take photographs of this kind of thing:

Snowy Trees

Or of this type of activity:

More pre-party good times

Or it's used to take short videos of people (like my idiot boyfriend) skiing or snowboarding off of cliffs.

But one day I borrowed the camera, and took this photograph:

Whitehorse Hickey Hider

That's my qiviut neckwarmer, about three rows away from being cast-off. I have cast off, and did start to attach the buttons... but have discovered that the fancy caribou antler buttons I bought for this project are too big and heavy. So in frustration I abandoned the neckwarmer (known to myself as the Whitehorse Hickey Hider for completely inappropriate reasons) and I try not to think about it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cherizac said...

Heartbreaking! It's lovely though; you do beautiful work. Do you plan another qiviut along? I'd love to join in, if you are.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Nit One Perl Two said...

I am so happy I found your site. It appears we have more in common than knitting! I'll let you know when I complete the "world renound" triple lindee patern!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Funkyewe said...

Love your blog..and as another qiviut lover, I appreciate the links for qivuit sources. Your knitting is lovely, puts me to shame ;)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

It's lovely! I'm sure you'll find the right buttons!

7:27 PM  
Blogger cloudburst said...

Hey i just found your blog and i love it! I recently discovered Qiviut yarn, and am trying to figure out where the best and cheapest place to buy it is. My boyfriend loves musk ox, so i'm thinking of buying him some Qiviut + the "Arctic Lace" book for his birthday. He actually really likes knitting and crochet!! Speaking of which - can you crochet with Qiviut?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous David V. said...

One question I've got, as a first-time visitor to your site and something of a fabric enthusiast, is this.

I've seen Velvet made from any of a number of natural (cotton, linen, silk, wool, mohair) or synthetic (rayon, polyester, nylon) fibres- has anyone tried to make velvet or similarly plush material from Qiviut yet? It would be a most fascinating project.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home