2005-09-10

Flowers Along the Path

Hello - I'm Kristen from Rhode Island. My husband and some friends spent 5 weeks this summer on a motorcycle trip to Alaska and back. My one request for being such a wonderful wife and remaining behind was that he bring me back some qiviut. Well, he did attempt to, but I've learned a lesson - "Never send a non-knitter on a knitter's job." When he returned home, he did order some online. I got the cap kit from this site http://www.qiviut.com/store/index.cfm?target=Fiber%20/%20Yarn . You receive 2 oz. of bulky qiviut, which actually looks to be worsted weight, and 3 simple cap patterns: a false cable, a basket weave, and the one I chose to make is called Flowers Along the Path. It's not fancy at all, just a knit/purl pattern, but don't you love the name? The caps are knit on size 10 needles. I've finished the ribbing and am into the pattern. It should be done in no time. I have to admit the yarn does not seem all that special to me yet. The finishing directions say the fabric will be very soft after washing. You can see my progress at http://audioknits.typepad.com/audioknits/

Kristen

1 Comments:

Blogger sandy said...

Hi Kristen,
Please do not judge all qiviut by the yarn that you have. I am not sure where Oomingmak got that yarn from, but it is a bulky 9-ply yarn (well, bulky compared to lace-weight, at least) that does not have the soft, weightless feel that one expects from qiviut. It does get softer after repeated washings, and it will be very warm.
The hat that I knit seemed too small, so I added a cuff to it.
Sandy

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home